While K-12 schools in Michigan are closed because of the coronavirus pandemic, federal agencies have given approval for free school meals to be distributed at designated pickup locations or school bus stops.
Through the program, students of any school who are 18 years old and younger may receive enough food for up to two meals a day. Students with disabilities ages 18-26 with an active IEP (individualized education plan) are also eligible.
Two Catholic schools in the Diocese of Grand Rapids are pickup locations:
- San Juan Diego Academy, 1650 Godfrey Ave SW, Wyoming, MI 49509. Breakfast and lunch will be available 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. (Organized by GRPS)
- West Catholic High School, 1801 Bristol NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504. Breakfast and lunch will be available 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on weekdays. (Organized in collaboration with All Saints Academy, Holy Spirit, Holy Trinity, and St. Anthony of Padua)
Here are links to lists of pickup locations around the Diocese of Grand Rapids:
- Statewide map: https://www.mcgi.state.mi.us/schoolnutrition/
- Ionia ISD: http://www.ioniaisd.org/covid19help/
- Kent ISD: https://www.kentisd.org/Core/News/Article/1474
- Distribution sites organized by YMCA of Greater Grand Rapids: https://www.grymca.org/coronavirus-community-support-action
- Mecosta-Osceola ISD: https://www.moisd.org/about/covid-19/
- Montcalm Area ISD: https://www.maisd.com/about/school-closing-information-and-resources/
- Muskegon ISD: https://www.muskegonisd.org/downloads/about/prschoolfeedingprograms_ada_2.pdf
- Newaygo County: http://nixle.us/BPK78
- Ottawa Area ISD: https://www.oaisd.org/Core/News/Article/11285/
- West Shore Educational Service District: