For 50 years, Catholics schools across the nation have recognized the last weekend of January and the following week as Catholic Schools Week. It is such an exciting time for our students, families, teachers, and staff! So much work goes into planning and executing all the special events, traveling to service projects throughout our diocese, inviting new families into our communities, and more. It is truly a time for us to express our gratitude and dedication to Catholic education.
Please see below for the MANY wonderful things going on in the ministry of Catholic education, as well as events and ways in which our community is celebrating.
Did you know that the Office of Catholic Schools published it's new five-year strategic plan in November? The plan, titled "Bridging Faith & Future," is such a worthy endeavor ensuring that excellent education in the Diocese of Grand Rapids continues well into the future. Check out this short summary of our strategic plan in the latest FAITH GR magazine, page 10. Then, watch Bishop Walkowiak introduce the plan and its four areas of focus:
Each day of Catholic Schools Week has a theme as outlined by the National Catholic Educational Association (NCEA):
- Sunday recognizes the important partnership with our Catholic parishes.
- Monday recognizes living and loving in our local communities.
- Tuesday recognizes limitless potential of our Catholic school students.
- The big event! Catholic schools students in the Diocese of Grand Rapids celebrated Mass on Tuesday, January 30 at 10 a.m. at St. Andrew's Cathedral. All 31 of our schools sent ~25 representatives downtown for Mass while students remained at school attended virtually/recited a prayer of spiritual communion. Just think of that ...over 6,400 young people united in faith and joined in prayer at the exact same time - powerful! Click on the right-side arrows below to see a gallery of images from our celebration:
- Wednesday recognizes our contribution to the United States of America, as well as the religious freedom for which we are grateful. The State Senate of Michigan made a formal resolution recognizing this week, and all the good our schools do, as Catholic Schools Week. See the fine print below.
- Thursday recognizes the call to vocations, our invitation from the Lord.
- Check out this article in the latest issue of FAITH GR Magazine. Randy Hodge, high school principal at St. Patrick Catholic School in Portland, shares his journey to the vocation of Deacon. Click here to see more photos of his consecration.
- Friday recognizes the specific and intentional vocation of Catholic school staff, teachers, and volunteers.
- Saturday focuses on the family. "The sanctity of marriage and the family ..is the decisive issue." - Our Lady of Fatima
Come back to this page throughout the week and see even MORE good news. Or follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. Please join us in prayer (and celebration) this upcoming week and have a happy Catholic Schools Week!